Cell Biology, 2nd Edition
With STUDENT CONSULT Online Access
|e-book - PDF|
|e-book - ePub|
A masterful introduction to the cell biology that you need to know! This critically acclaimed text offers you a modern and unique approach to the study of cell biology. It emphasises that cellular structure, function, and dysfunction ultimately result from specific macromolecular interactions. You'll progress from an explanation of the "hardware" of molecules and cells to an understanding of how these structures function in the organism in both healthy and diseased states. The outstanding artwork helps you to better visualise molecular structures.Table of Contents
- Efficient, reader-friendly coverage of essential concepts
- Cell biology is made easier to understand by demonstrating how cellular structure, function, and dysfunction result from specific macromolecular interactions
- Logical progression from an explanation of the 'hardware' of molecules and cells to an understanding of how these structures function in the organism in both healthy and diseased states
- Over 1500 remarkable full-colour illustrations presenting physical structures to scale help you to visualise molecular structures and functions
- Explains how molecular and cellular structures evolved in different organisms
- Clinical Examples show you how molecular changes lead to the development of diseases
- Bonus access to STUDENT CONSULT! At www.studentconsult.com, you'll find:
- The complete text and illustrations of the book online, fully searchable
- Downloadable image bank, perfect for essays and presentations
- 50 free "Integration Links" to bonus content in other STUDENT CONSULT titles
- Test your knowledge with multiple-choice review questions
- An interactive community centre with a wealth of additional resources, and much more!
New to This Edition
- New keystone chapter on the origin and evolution of life on earth - probably the best explanation of evolution for cell biologists available!
- Spectacular new artwork by gifted artist Graham Johnson of the Scripps Research Institute in San Diego. 200 new and 500 revised figures bring his keen insight to Cell Biology illustration and further aid the reader’s understanding
- New chapters and sections on the most dynamic areas of cell biology - Organelles and membrane traffic by Jennifer Lippincott-Schwartz; RNA processing (including RNAi) by David Tollervey., updates on stem cells and DNA Repair
- More readable than ever - improved organisation and an accessible new design increase the focus on understanding concepts and mechanisms
New guide to figures featuring specific organisms and specialised cells paired with a list of all of the figures showing these organisms - gives you an easy review of cellular and molecular mechanisms New glossary with one-stop definitions of over 1000 of the most important terms in cell biology
Published Reviews"This book contains everything you want to know and more about cells. Each section covers a topic by beginning with the basic molecules and background principles and then continuing up to how these give full physiological function.
It is well designed because it contains lots of detail on each subject without drowning out key information for understanding. There are separate boxes on most pages, containing key principles and helpful summary tables alongside many excellent diagrams and research figures. It has been updated from the first edition with the inclusion of the latest research findings and there has also been an effort made to reduce jargon. I would recommend this book for a person wanting to conduct research who needs solid baseline knowledge of cell biology."
Medical Student, Leicester Medical School, UKBack To Top