Assessment and Care of the Well Newborn, 2nd Edition
Delivery can take up to ten days
Offering a multidisciplinary approach in an accessible outline format, this practical handbook covers all aspects of care for the full-term, well newborn. Written and reviewed by both physicians and nurses, this new edition presents explanations of the events surrounding delivery, the processes necessary to identify newborns that deviate from the norm, the immediate interventions and care required in these situations, and routine care considerations frequently encountered in caring for these infants. Detailed guidance is provided on assessment, delivery room management, transition and post-transition care, and commonly seen problems. Readers will also find information on the assessment of infections, nursery protocols, standardized physician standing orders, and common drugs and their effect on breastfeeding.
New to This Edition
- The latest updates on guidelines and procedures are provided — including neonatal hearing screening and resuscitation.
- Up-to-date reference information includes growth charts, current immunization recommendations, and genetic screening.
- The most current recommended therapies are presented for viral and bacterial infection diagnosis, management, and treatment.
- The latest technology information for fetal assessment includes the fetal doppler and fetal pulse oximeter.
- Content addresses the most up-to-date effects of epidurals on maternal temperature and the implication for newborn infection evaluations.