Communication in Nursing, 7th Edition
Combining a spiritual, empathetic approach to patients with practical clinical scenarios and techniques, this user-friendly resource is your key to understanding and applying the basic concepts of therapeutic communication. It provides comprehensive, step-by-step guidelines for establishing patient relationships, accompanied by unique artistic features that go beyond the clinical setting and help you connect more effectively with patients and ensure better clinical outcomes.Table of Contents
- Wit & Wisdom boxes provide a humorous, personal approach to communication theory and application.
- Discussion of the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator helps you recognize different styles of communication and enhance your own.
- Moments of Connection boxes highlight the outcomes and benefits of successful communication.
- Poetry excerpts in every chapter provide inspiration and insight.
- Focus on therapeutic spirituality presents a holistic approach that helps enrich your patient relationships.
- Guidelines on communicating with populations with special needs prepare you to engage the widest variety of patients.
New to This Edition
- Revised chapter exercises reinforce concepts and help you practice your communication skills.
- New Communicating at the End of Life chapter provides strategies for effective communication and creative expression with patients near the end of life.
- Revised Understanding Each Other: Communication and Culture chapter helps you better understand diverse patient backgrounds and foster more productive relationships.
"Riley's book is an excellent book that provides a wide ranging coverage of the subjects that could be considered to be under the umbrella of communications. The pre-registration student would find this book especially helpful when studying those modules that have a communications flavour to them...These chapters mean that the book can prove helpful to the nurse at any point in their career providing timely reminders of the best strategies to use in order to facilitate efficient communications with clients...This book would probe most useful to the pre-registration student studying a communications module. However, the inclusion of chapters on real world situations can help to extend the appeal of this book."
Nursing Times, January 2013Back To Top