Clinical Applications of Pathophysiology, 3rd Edition
An Evidence-Based Approach
Clinical Applications of Pathophysiology: An Evidence-Based Approach explains and illustrates how pathophysiology concepts are used in clinical situations. This advanced review guide and workbook covers 27 of the most commonly encountered health problems. It outlines the connections between pathophysiology, assessment, diagnosis, and management, with an emphasis on the clinical use of pathophysiology concepts. The application of pathophysiology principles to the clinical setting is illustrated with case studies included in each chapter. Integrated within the case studies are questions relating to patient history, physical examination findings, lab and diagnostic studies, therapies, and follow-up care – each is designed to promote critical thinking and a deeper understanding through application of the concepts presented.Table of Contents
- Consistent presentation of each disease includes definition, epidemiology, pathophysiology, patient presentation (history, symptoms, and examination), differential diagnosis, keys to assessment, and keys to management.
- Clinical link diagrams for each disorder clearly illustrate how pathophysiologic concepts play a role in patient care.
- Algorithms are used to illustrate the sequential action of disease processes.
- Case studies with questions in a fill-in-the-blank format are included for every disease to promote continual critical thinking based on the available data.
- Case studies go through the history, physical examination, lab and diagnostic test results, and course of treatment for a hypothetical patient, with integrated questions designed to promote continual critical thinking based on the available data.
- Up-to-date bibliographies provide reading lists of the most important and current research published on each disease.
- Perforated pages allow students to fill out the answer spaces in the case studies and turn them in to their instructors for evaluation.
- Suggested answers with rationales to case study questions are available to instructors who require the book, to facilitate the use of the case as class assignments.
New to This Edition
- Table of laboratory test values for quick reference.